NSW Disability Education Advocate – Flexible Working Arrangement
First Peoples Disability Network (FPDN) Australia is a national organisation of and for Australia’s First Peoples living with a disability, their families and communities. FPDN’s purpose is to promote respect for human rights, secure social justice, and empower First Peoples with disability to participate in Australian society on an equal basis with others. We are the traditional custodians of the Land changing the narratives of First Peoples living with a disability, their families and communities and we recognise this important responsibility.
Provide independent individual disability education advocacy services to remove barriers for people with disability in the NSW education sector. The successful candidate will also support the development of individual self-advocacy skills and identify and highlight systemic issues.
It is essential that the successful candidate has lived experience of disability, understands the barriers that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people face when living with a disability in the NSW education sector. To be successful in the role applicants will have excellent time management, organisational and communication skills. This role is funded for up to a 2 year period and the successful applicant will be required to work from home or a hybrid working arrangement depending on location.
- Previous experience in an Advocacy Role within the disability or education sectors working within Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander communities
- Ability to demonstrate well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate well-developed stakeholder engagement skills within Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the access barriers to the NDIS scheme and associated social issues
- Strongly development verbal, written and time management skills
- Formal qualifications in Community Services or Disability (or working towards)
This is an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identified position. Applicants are sought from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Australians pursuant to Section 14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW).
Please apply via EthicalJobs