UNSW Sydney will launch a new centre to improve health outcomes for people with intellectual disability ensuring better access to quality, timely, and comprehensive care. The Centre is a response to the significant health disadvantage experienced by people with intellectual disability.
Led by UNSW Professor Julian Trollor from the School of Clinical Medicine, the Centre will support delivery of the Australian Government’s National Roadmap for Improving the Health of People with Intellectual Disability.
“It’s time to turn our attention to innovative solutions. This can only be done in partnership with people with intellectual disability, health and disability professionals, services and regulatory authorities, academics, and advocates,” Prof. Trollor said.
WHAT: Launch of the National Centre of Excellence in Intellectual Disability Health
- Honorable Ged Kearney MP Assistant Minister for Health and Aged Care
- UNSW Professor, School of Clinical Medicine, Julian Trollor
- UNSW Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor Attila Brungs
- UNSW Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research & Enterprise, Professor Nicholas Fisk
- UNSW Professor Dane McCamey, PVC Research
- UNSW Professor Sean Emery, Senior Vice Dean, School of Clinical Medicine
- Georgina Reynhout, CEO, Council for Intellectual Disability
- Darryl Steff, CEO, Down Syndrome Australia
- Professor Anne Kavanagh, University of Melbourne
- Damian Griffis, CEO, First Peoples Disability Network
WHEN: Friday 13 October 2023, 9.45 AM – 11:30 AM.
WHERE: Council Chambers, The Chancellery Building, Gate 9, High Street, UNSW Sydney Kensington.
ORDER OF EVENTS:
9.55am: MC: Fiona McKenzie, Chair, Council for Intellectual Disability
Welcome to Country Aunty Maxine Ryan, Elder from La Perouse Local Aboriginal Land Council
10:00am: Professor Attila Brungs, Vice Chancellor
10:05am: Hon Ged Kearney MP, Assistant Minister for Health and Aged Care
10:10am: Naomi Lake, DSA Health Ambassador,
10:18am: Jacqui Mills, Family member of younger person with intellectual disability
10:26am: Damian Griffis, CEO, and Rhys Nagas, First Peoples Disability Network
10:34am: Julian Trollor, Acting Centre Director
MEDIA CONTACT: Olga Gerloff, 0434 498 838, [email protected]